This soup tastes rich and creamy but only has 100 calories per bowl. Avocados boost the absorption of the beta-carotene in the carrots and also help your body convert it into vitamin A.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound carrots, roughly chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe avocado (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large saucepan until shimmering and add onions. Cook over low heat until golden (5-10 minutes).
- Add spices and cook until fragrant (1 minute)
- Add carrots, stock, and soup and simmer gently until carrots are tender (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Transfer soup to blender along with avocado, cover and blend until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot foods!)
- Taste and add salt, if needed. If your carrots weren’t very sweet, you may also want to add a teaspoon of honey or other sweetener.
- Serve warm or chilled, garnished with plenty of fresh cilantro and a thin slice or two of avocado, if desired.