Avocado and almond milk replace evaporated milk in this healthy take on a holiday classic. But this nutritional upgrade can be your little secret…no one will be the wiser.
Pumpkins are super high in beta-carotene and recent research shows that adding avocado to carotene-rich veggies not only boosts absorption of the nutrient but also aids in their conversion to vitamin A.
As an experiment, I replaced the evaporated milk in the standard pumpkin pie recipe with a blend of almond milk and ripe avocado and served it to guests without tipping them off. Not only were they none the wiser, but the superior flavor and light, mousse-like texture of the filling prompted several requests for the recipe.
Here’s my recipe for Pumpkin Avocado Pie. The fact that it contains nutrient-boosting avocado (or that it has 25% fewer calories and 40% less sugar than the standard recipe) can be your little secret.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 inch piece of ginger root (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 2 eggs
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 9-inch pie shell (unbaked)
- Pre-heat oven to 4250F.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cloves in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place almond milk, avocado, vanilla, and ginger into blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Add eggs to blender and blend on low speed until combined.
- Add avocado mixture and canned pumpkin to sugar mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie shell and bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40 minutes. Pie will be slightly jiggly but set.
- Cool on a rack and serve with whipped cream if desired.
Calories 220, Total fat 10g, Saturated fat 2.5g, Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 310mg, Total carbohydrate 28g, Fiber 3g, Sugar 14g, Protein 4g.
2 thoughts on “Pumpkin Avocado Pie Recipe”
Even just the looks, it really is delicious. Thanks for the recipe, I will surely cook it, one of these days.
This is one of the best pie recipes I’ve ever had! I will be making this very often. It was delicious!