I’m always looking for ways to get more protein into breakfast so when National Dairy Council invited me to invent a new recipe featuring whey protein, I decided to work on a breakfast casserole…something simple to make but impressive enough to trot out for company.
Calorie for calorie, protein can help you feel fuller longer than carbohydrates or fats. And whey protein powder is a convenient way to add complete, high-quality protein to a recipe. I use it almost every morning in my smoothie and now I’ve got a new “whey” to add protein to breakfast!
This savory strata makes a great weekend brunch (you can even make it ahead of time). Whey adds over 6 additional grams of protein per serving, increasing the total protein content of the dish by 50%!
Serves 6 (or more–See Notes)
5 slices nutty-oat bread (such as Pepperidge Farm)
1/2 of a 16-ounce bag of frozen spinach, thawed
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half (or quarters, if large)
3 ounces reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
4 omega-3 enriched eggs (such as Egglands Best)
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1/2 cup unflavored whey protein powder
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 8×8 baking dish or a 2-quart gratin dish, or 6 individual (4-inch) ramekins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray baking dish (or dishes) with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, tear bread into bite-sized pieces. Squeeze the spinach with your hands to remove as much water as you can and add to bowl along with tomatoes and feta cheese.
- Toss ingredients to combine, breaking up any large clumps of spinach, and spread in baking dish(es).
- In the same bowl, combine eggs, milk, whey protein, oregano, salt and pepper and whisk until thoroughly blended. Pour over bread mixture.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the strata is brown and puffy. Serve warm.
- You can assemble the strata the night before and leave in the fridge overnight. Remove it from the fridge for 30 minutes before baking.
- If you’re cooking for a crowd, double the recipe and use a 9 x 13 baking pan. Increase baking time by 5-10 minutes.
- Regular eggs work just fine, but it will slightly change the nutritional content. Ditto for the milk and feta cheese.