How similar is your diet to the mythical Mediterranean Diet studied by researchers? Answer these 9 questions to get your score. (Adapted from Oldways)
Give yourself 1 point for every Yes, 0 points for every No.
1. I eat at least 2 cups of vegetables every day.
2. I eat 2 or more pieces of fruit a day.
3. I eat 2 or more servings of whole grains a day.
4. I eat fish 2 or more times a week.
5. I eat beans or legumes 4 or more times a week.
6. I eat nuts or seeds almost every day.
7. I use olive oil as my main source of fat.
8. I drink a glass of red wine (but no more than 2) most days.
9. I eat red meat no more than once a week.
If you scored 8 or 9, your diet is highly consistent with the ideal Mediterranean diet pattern.
If you scored 6-7, your diet has a lot in common with the ideal Mediterreanean diet pattern.
If you scored 4-5, your diet includes some elements of the ideal Mediterreanean diet pattern.
If you scored 0-3, your diet is not consistent with the ideal Mediterreanean diet pattern.
See also this recent episode of the Nutrition Diva podcast