Most bran muffins are high in sugar and fat. Prune juice keeps these muffins tender and moist, and adds a natural sweetness. Flax seed also pumps up the nutritional profile by adding omega-3 fatty acids as well as soluble fiber.
1/2 cup unprocessed wheat bran
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup prune juice
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons light olive oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup flaxseed
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Place wheat bran in large bowl and add boiling water. Stir to combine and set aside.
2. In small bowl, combine prune juice, molasses, oil, and egg and beat lightly.
3. Grind flaxseed in coffee or spice grinder. Add ground flaxseed to the wheat bran mixture, along with flour, cinnamon, ginger, soda and salt. Mix well.
4. Add prune juice mixture and raisins to wheat bran mixture and stir to combine. Let batter sit for 10-15 minutes.
5. Divide batter between 12 paper-lined muffin cups. Bake for 14 minutes.
Nutritional Information per serving (1 muffin): Calories 145; Fat 6g; Carbohydrate 22g, Fiber 4g, Sugars 12g (Added sugars 5g), Protein 3g